Stuff it. Bake it. Eat it. Simple as 1, 2, 3. You don’t have to be a Giada to make this. All you need are vegetables, spices, and meat. Also, patience is key because these goodies need time to bake. Take it up a notch by changing the meat to a spicy sausage and adding chili pepper flakes for an extra kick. To make it easier, everything is from Trader Joe’s, your friendlier grocery store. Here’s a favorite I can always count on.
Stuffed Peppers with Spicy Sausage and Veggies
- For 4 servings, prepare stuffing by removing meat from four spicy sausage casings. To the meat, I added probably a 2-3 cups of chopped vegetables. You can add mushrooms, onions, diced tomatoes, garlic, celery, and carrots.
- Add a dash of worcestershire sauce, tabasco, a pinch of oregano, chili peppers, salt & pepper, steak sauce, and cheese. You can even add chopped bell peppers. Add an egg yolk to hold the meat and veggies together. For even more, add breadcrumbs to the stuffing.
- Cut open the top of 4 bell peppers and remove seeds. Top stuffing with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes on a foil bed (this holds the juices from the stuffing). For less oven time, you can saute the stuffing until thoroughly cooked and add to the bell pepper.
- Finally, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake for a few minutes until cheese has melted.